Tuesday 4 October 2011

Montage-It! Week 1 Take-Home

Day/Night & Real/Atmospheric

Montaging involves a mixture of media. For our first home task, we had to integrate our model within a context. We were required to provide 4 images: 2 atmospheric and 2 'normal' images in a real background.
The challenge here was to correctly adjust the scale to the right effect and integrate the building in terms of sharpness, lighting, and especially angle.

With my real daytime image, I wanted the building to stand simply, in a natural setting to reflect the 'down to earth' structure of the building.

Realistic- day

Because the building has the most focus at night, I believed that retaining the natural grass as a floor would cast great shadows to integrate the building into its setting, and doing this image as a daytime shot was to illustrate that it could also work in the day.

Retaining a natural setting, my 'night' shot is set also in a field at sunrise. I feel that at this time of day, everything is at its most serene and untouched state, and the lighting has its own sense of cleanliness and growing ambience.

Realistic- night

The outcome of this image was exactly the way I wanted. I felt the angle was right, the ratio of building to trees was also right, and the building didn't stand out too much. As with the daytime image, I used a grass textured paintbrush to bring out the grass around the building, and blurred the edges of the building furthest away from the viewer to replicate how a camera would do so in such a shot.
This time I kept the floor white, rather than showing the grass inside, as I believed it would distract from the focus of the soft light and make the viewer more aware of the internal space. My only issue with the image quality is the darkness of the ground, however being a photo taken true to reality, it portrayed the way the landscape really would look (as I wanted in these reality images).


The focus for my atmospheric images was a carnivale mood, where lights always surround you and draw you in. This building, which I nickname the Lighthouse, fits completely into this as the light is meant to create an air of mystery and allure.
My first image is set on a wharf, as I imagine a pier amusement park.

Atmospheric 1

This image was my least successful for the following reasons (which I realise in hindsight): the angle of the building is wrong, as the vanishing points don't align with the background, there is no shadow, and my attempt at creating a reflection on the far right panel didn't work either.
On the otherhand, my reasons for this composition was to set the building as something you would initially walk past, however the entrance and its scale should draw you in.

My next atmospheric image drew from the oranges, lights and wharf setting from my first image. This time, I wanted to create a calmness similar to the 2nd image (night/sunrise) in respect to a quiet morning/night.

Atmospheric 2

The main challenge with this image was recreating the reflection, especially seeing as there were ripples on the surface and that part of the water was particularly reflective. In order to achieve it as best I could I used a mixture of transparency changes, smudges and blurs. I also noted that the railing came in front of the building, as so I followed the natural reflection of it and set it in front of the buildings reflection.
To integrate the building as a whole I tried to match the golden colours, and kept that side of the building relatively dark as the light was coming from the other side. The angle I feel was right, however the scale is slightly too dominating, and it doesn't seem like it would fit onto the width of the wharf. The image as a whole, without focusing on too much detail, I feel works.

No comments:

Post a Comment